Thursday, September 22, 2011

My First Post.....Where will this go?

Depression.

Lots of stigma associated with that word.  It's unwarranted.  Depression is a recognized medical condition. 

You wouldn't be afraid to talk about a cancer diagnosis, but not a lot of people will talk about depression.  A poll done by the Canadian Mental Health Association in 2008 found that 72% of Canadians would tell a friend about a cancer diagnosis in the family vs 50% for a mental illness.  Same poll says 46% of respondents think that the term "mental illness" is used as an excuse for bad behaviour. (http://letstalk.bell.ca/) From personal experience, there are people that were once very close to me who think I used my being depressed as an excuse for some poor decisions that I made.  I hope they never have to experience depression first-hand.

Do you even really know what depression is?

Quite simply, it's a mental illness. 

A more in-depth explanation comes courtesy of Wikipedia - "Depression is a state of low mood and aversion to activity that can affect a person's thoughts, behaviour, feelings and physical wellbeing.  Depressed people may feel sad, anxious, empty, hopeless, helpless, worthless, guilty, irritable, or restless.  They may lose interest in activities that were once pleasurable, experience loss of appetite or overeating, or problems concentrating, remembering details or making decisions; and may contemplate or attempt suicide."  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depression_(mood)

I personally like the take Michael Landsberg has on it in an article he wrote regarding the suicide of his friend Wade Belak: "We can't see depression.  We can't biopsy it.  Blood tests don't show it.  Neither do x-rays....depression is a disease.  It's not an issue or a demon, although it may act as one."  (www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375694)

I suffered from depression.  I'm beating it.  But there's a good chance I'll have another bout of it....I don't have the stats handy right now, but it's a better than average possibility.

The whole point in writing this blog is to help educate some friends and family, and possibly even some complete strangers.  And it helps me be pro-active, as your friendly, neighbourhood anti-depression crusader. ;)

Stay tuned...more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment