Monday, November 14, 2011

Daron Richardson

If you've been folllowing this blog, you know I've mentioned Daron Richardson before.

She's the daughter of Luke Richardson - former NHLer and current assistant coach with the Ottawa Senators.  Her mom is Stephanie Richardson.  Her sister is Morgan.

Yesterday marked the 1 year anniversary of her suicide.

Here's a really touching interview that Luke and Stephanie gave to Sportsnet and it aired on Hockey Central Saturday this past weekend.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/latest/Do-it-for-Daron

As you know, I started this blog to help spread the news (as it were) that depression, and by extension any mental illness, is nothing to be ashamed of.  Just like you wouldn't be ashamed of a cancer diagnosis, why should you be ashamed if there's something wrong upstairs?  It's not like you have a choice in the matter...It's not your fault.

Anyways, my kids aren't too much younger than Daron.  Mental illness has touched my family for at least 3, maybe 4, generations now.  I'm fucking scared as hell that it could hit my girls.  One of the first things I did once I moved back home was to order a package of purple D.I.F.D. bracelets.  Mine hasn't left my wrist since.  And once my girls are big enough that they won't fall off their wrists (they're both pretty tiny) I'll give them theirs and explain who Daron was.

http://www.doitfordaron.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment